Design-Build is an alternative to the more traditional Design-Bid-Build process where design and construction are two separate processes with different contracts.
BELL’s Design-Build arrangement is very similar to our Construction Management at Risk (CMAR) delivery method, but a single contract is held between the Owner and BELL instead of the Owner contracting with the Designer and BELL separately. Design-Build provides the Owner with a single point of responsibility for both design and construction as BELL enters into a design contract with an architect or engineer who specializes in the desired construction type.
Our Design-Build team then works with the client and designer to design and build the project in order to meet the project’s specific goals, budget, and schedule.
Benefits of a Design-Build arrangement include:
- A single contract between the client and the contractor
- Fewer change orders and more cost savings resulting from intensive collaboration of the designer and builder
- More efficient project delivery
- Streamlined design change vetting and execution process
- Incorporation of VDC/BIM and sustainability goals (LEED certification, State of TN HPBr, etc.) from the beginning of the contract